use of cpus in building

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 28 11:07:26 PDT 2016

On May 27, 2016, at 4:05 PM, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> On May 27, 2016, at 1:47 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> Instead, consider changing buildnicevalue in macports.conf from 0 to a greater number, up to 20. When MacPorts is configured to be "nice" it means that if other programs running on your computer need CPU time, they'll get it first.
>
> Can this also be done on the command line for a specific install, instead of changing the config file?

It's difficult to tell, because the nice value is not recorded in the log anywhere. If it does work, you would do it with:

sudo port install whatever build.nice=20

However, I don't see a downside to setting buildnicevalue in macports.conf. If your computer isn't doing anything else, MacPorts gets the CPU time. If your computer is doing something else, that something else gets the CPU time.