[MacRuby-devel] next release

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Thu Mar 13 16:17:12 PDT 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 4:04 PM, Benjamin Stiglitz wrote:

>> For the next release, my objective is to re-implement String, Array
>> and Hash using CoreFoundation. The idea is to have only one
>> implementation for every primitive class, and therefore be able to
>> pass primitive objects from Ruby to Objective-C without having to
>> pay any cost.
>>
>> Basically, String would disappear as a class, and would be an alias
>> to NSString. The whole String interface would be re-implemented on
>> top of NSString, using the CFString API. The same goes for Array
>> and Hash.
>
> As we’ve discussed offline, I’d still love to take a crack at this
> one. I do wonder what we’ll do with NSStrings, though, since they’re
> not actually mutable. So many issues.

We could check for mutability and accordingly raise exceptions in !
methods. Every string created by Ruby would be mutable anyway, we are
only talking about non-mutable NSStrings received from ObjC, which I
don't think are a big deal. But if we want to be truly compatible on
the other side too... we will have to find a solution.