[MacRuby-devel] next release

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Thu Mar 13 16:59:03 PDT 2008

On Mar 13, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
> On Mar 13, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
>
>>> As we’ve discussed offline, I’d still love to take a crack at this
>>> one. I do wonder what we’ll do with NSStrings, though, since
>>> they’re not actually mutable. So many issues.
>>
>> We could check for mutability and accordingly raise exceptions in !
>> methods. Every string created by Ruby would be mutable anyway, we
>> are only talking about non-mutable NSStrings received from ObjC,
>> which I don't think are a big deal. But if we want to be truly
>> compatible on the other side too... we will have to find a solution.
>
> Could we add a category on NSString that auto-converts it to an
> NSMutableString when necessary?

Well there is already [-mutableCopy] which when called on an NSString
returns an NSMutableString. But you have to call it, the process is
not done automatically for you.

Say that you receive a non-mutable string from Objective-C, and want
to call the #upcase! method on it. AFAIK, MacRuby could 1) raise an
exception 2) auto-convert the receiver as mutable (but a new object
will likely have to be created).