[MacRuby-devel] integrating macruby into cocoa apps

Niko Matsakis niko at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 18 14:14:52 PDT 2008

I downloaded the early release of MacRuby hoping to integrate it into
an existing cocoa application: I need to be able to run small amounts
of user-supplied code to do custom string manipulations, and I thought
MacRuby might be perfect for this.  However, I don't see any obvious
way to hand off an NSString with code and have it execute in some
environment.  Does such an API exist?  The only entry point I saw was
macruby_main(), which doesn't seem quite right, or ruby_exec_node()
which looks pretty low-level.  I realize that MacRuby is still in an
early state, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking
something before I dug too much deeper.

thanks,

Niko