[MacRuby-devel] PBI - HTML and CSS in HotCocoa

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Fri Nov 21 13:46:17 PST 2008

At 12:52 -0900 11/21/08, elliottcable wrote:
> This sounds like an idea with potential.
>
> Perhaps a new framework for creating "HTML" applications, that takes
> the HTML and uses a WebView - but instead of actually ending up with
> a WebView, the data is pulled out and passed onto a true Cocoa
> interface, kinda thing?

Pretty much.  For example, imagine that WebApp hands back a DOM tree
that is decorated with geometric information.  The MacRuby app walks
this tree and makes the appropriate HotCocoa calls.

I think WebApp will simply pass through information it doesn't need,
so it should be possible to send in (say) a div that has attributes
for widget type (etc) and get back something that means "put one of
these widgets in this location with this size".

I'm quite sure there are some ugly details to work out, but it costs
us nothing to speculate about desirable behavior (:-).

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com