[MacRuby-devel] Can't build trunk

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Tue Nov 25 00:16:32 PST 2008

On Nov 24, 2008, at 10:57 PM, Patrick Bennett wrote:

> I would be using the stable branch but it seems like everything
> assumes the development branch is being used (ie hotconsole).
> Speaking of hotconsole - I've never been able to get it to build.
> With the latest MacRuby (rev 756) [which now builds] I get the
> following when running macrake with the latest hotconsole code:
> PMBMacOSX:hotconsole patrickb$ macrake
> (in /Users/patrickb/dev/hotconsole)
> macruby(74947,0x103785000) malloc: free_garbage: garbage ptr =
> 0x800029fc0, has non-zero refcount = 1
> /Users/patrickb/dev/hotconsole/HotConsole.app/Contents/Resources/lib/
> application.rb:43:in `<class:Terminal>': undefined method
> `method_signature' for Terminal:Class (NoMethodError)
> 	from /Users/patrickb/dev/hotconsole/HotConsole.app/Contents/
> Resources/lib/application.rb:13:in `<top (required)>'
> 	from /Users/patrickb/dev/hotconsole/HotConsole.app/Contents/
> Resources/rb_main.rb:2:in `load'
> 	from /Users/patrickb/dev/hotconsole/HotConsole.app/Contents/
> Resources/rb_main.rb:2:in `<main>'

It looks like you're not using the latest version of MacRuby, which
introduced #method_signature (quite a few builds ago).

$ macirb
 >> class Foo
 >>   def foo; end
 >>   method_signature :foo, 'v@:'
 >> end
=> nil
 >> Foo.new.foo
=> nil

Check with macruby -v if it reports 0.4 at least.

Also, it looks like you're not using the latest HotConsole sources.
The call to #method_signature was removed (it was added to work around
a bug in MacRuby trunk which has been fixed after).

http://github.com/vincentisambart/hotconsole/commit/8452a7be6343aabb8abfa9e34064e96f44ac4737