[MacRuby-devel] testing MacRuby with RubySpec?

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Tue Oct 14 17:11:33 PDT 2008

On Oct 14, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Rich Morin wrote:
>> Also, MacRuby's PPC support is very preliminary and I think it will
>> be
>> deprecated soon, principally because of lack of interest and
>> resources
>> to maintain it. I am currently focusing on both 32-bit and 64-bit
>> Intel.
>
> <rant>
> My desktop machine is a perfectly lovely Power Mac G5, which does a
> fine job of everything I ask of it.  I don't mind paying Apple $100
> a year for their OS, nor in paying the premium needed for Apple to
> create pretty and reliable hardware.  However, it gripes the !@#$%^
> out of me when Apple deprecates hardware prematurely.  The fact that
> Apple offers nothing cheaper than a Mac Pro with any card slots (eg,
> for adding more monitors) adds insult to injury.
> </rant>
>
> Would it be that hard for you to scrounge a PPC mac and have it run
> the same tests?  Even if you don't have the time to resolve issues,
> having a central resource for current test information might help to
> encourage others to make fixes, etc.

Sorry about that, I know that there are still people running PPC
machines. The PPC support in MacRuby won't disappear but will probably
just be deprecated. If one wants to maintain it and fix bugs, he/she
is greatly welcome :)

As for the central test information machine, it's indeed something I
would like to set up. I just haven't found the time to do that yet.
Ideally we should run the tests for every architecture / OS every time
there is a new commit and show the result on a public-accessible web
page. I would also want to write a performance test suite to make sure
no performance regression is introduced by mistake.