[MacRuby-devel] testing MacRuby with RubySpec?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Oct 14 14:39:09 PDT 2008

At 14:06 -0700 10/14/08, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:
> I see that there is a 1.9 suite now, it might be interesting to run
> MacRuby against it. I'm not sure if it's complete, though.
>
> http://github.com/rubyspec/rubyspec/tree/master/1.9
>
> I would indeed be willing to set up some local machines here and
> submit the rubyspec results to the rubyspecresults web app. It won't
> be possible to make the machines accessible from the outside, but it
> looks like it's not a requirement.

No, given that tests can presumably be added to the suite via github.

> Also, MacRuby's PPC support is very preliminary and I think it will be
> deprecated soon, principally because of lack of interest and resources
> to maintain it. I am currently focusing on both 32-bit and 64-bit Intel.

<rant>
My desktop machine is a perfectly lovely Power Mac G5, which does a
fine job of everything I ask of it.  I don't mind paying Apple $100
a year for their OS, nor in paying the premium needed for Apple to
create pretty and reliable hardware.  However, it gripes the !@#$%^
out of me when Apple deprecates hardware prematurely.  The fact that
Apple offers nothing cheaper than a Mac Pro with any card slots (eg,
for adding more monitors) adds insult to injury.
</rant>

Would it be that hard for you to scrounge a PPC mac and have it run
the same tests?  Even if you don't have the time to resolve issues,
having a central resource for current test information might help to
encourage others to make fixes, etc.

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com