[MacRuby-devel] PBI - macirb as a console, debugger, etc.

Antonin Hildebrand antonin at hildebrand.cz
Mon Oct 27 03:58:31 PDT 2008

Hi Laurent,
I would be happy with sharing the code.

Technically I'd like to see it this way:
1. code packaged as macgem (mr-console?) note: mr may be standard
prefix for all macruby-only gems (why? to be searchable on github,
rubyforge, etc.)
2. mr-console preinstalled as a standard macgem in macruby
installation (this is what Apple does with some gems in standard Ruby
installation in Leopard and nobody has problem with it)
3. new/modified macruby application XCode template, which has wizard
page with checkboxes for additional application features (console will
be one of them, others may come in the future)
4. new application template should generate script for installing gems
locally into application's /vendor (similar to rails script/plugin -
/vendor takes precedence)

With macgem we will get versioning/updating for free and what is more
important we will motivate the community to create similar libraries
the right way from the beginning.
Those popular gems then may be included in the standard installation
in future macruby releases (without the need of repackaging/renaming
etc.)

I know it is a little bit more work for now, but I believe it is the
right way to go and I'm willing to help with this.

By the way the console has still some quirks (floating cursor on
screen in some cases). People on github are welcome to fork and
contribute.

These are features I'd like to see in the future:
0. solving cursor quirks
1. font/colors selection
2. action for clearing the console
3. support for opening multiple console windows (tabs maybe?)
4. ruby syntax highlighting
5. console command history preserving between application sessions (up arrow)

Antonin

>>> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com