[MacRuby-devel] PBI - macirb as a console, debugger, etc.

Antonin Hildebrand antonin at hildebrand.cz
Tue Oct 28 05:41:09 PDT 2008

Hi guys,
It seems I'm alone in opinion on packaging console as a gem right now :-/

In my opinion MacRuby should be Ruby1.9 with original stdlib shape.
Nothing more.
The only difference should be ObjC runtime + changes forced by this environment.
Other useful library additions should be preinstalled macgems,
including HotCocoa as a gem.

Rich, I'm also promoting including them. I'm just talking about
including them in different place of MacRuby release, not in stdlib.

Jordan said:
>  It's very MacRuby-specific, what we're talking about here, and not really a generic gem.
Sounds to me, that you are promoting that MacRuby specific things
shouldn't be gems.
Gems is a generic system for ruby libraries. No mater how specific
they are to specific technologies.
Copying bunch of things into stdlib is a dirty old-fashioned way Matz
was doing with ruby when no rubygems ever existed :-)

Rich said:
> The fewer hoops a newbie has to jump through, the better chance that s/he won't get Tired
For a newbie the difference is just in two lines on top of the (generated) file:

instead of:
require 'console'

there will be:
require 'rubygems'
require 'console'

If she knows nothing about gems, then she probably knows nothing about
stdlib location. So she takes it as a magic.

---

Laurent, I have a proposal for you:
I will create console project as a gem published on github (maybe this weekend).
And you may freely take what you find useful and include it in MacRuby releases.

I want to show that 'gemization' of a ruby library is a piece of cake
with github.
Anybody then can take it, innovate and republish. And switching is
just a mater of running macgem command.

regards,
Antonin