[MacRuby-devel] Intro, looking to get involved

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Thu Aug 6 22:12:18 PDT 2009

Hello Greg,

On Aug 6, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Greg Vaughn wrote:

> Hello, I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I've seen a
> few posts of people having trouble building, but wanted to report
> that it went clean for me right off the bat. There's a few test
> failures and errors though.
>
> rake spec:ci
> Finished in 156.295783 seconds
> 1553 files, 6256 examples, 18175 expectations, 8 failures, 134 errors
>
> I pulled from the macruby-mirror github repo John-Paul Bader posted
> today.

I think these errors are because you did not install MacRuby before
running the specs.

This is a temporary problem with C extension bundles, they must be
installed before we can run their specs.

Hopefully this will be very soon fixed.

> For starters, are those test failures/errors to be expected? If so,
> is the easiest way to get my feet wet to tackle some of those? Any
> in particular I should avoid because of the complexity for a newbie,
> or that someone else is deep into?
>
> My pedigree, in case that helps anyone nudge me in the right
> direction: taught myself BASIC in Jr. High, Apple II assembler in
> High School, C during college pursuing a Physics degree, first job
> in Newtonscript, Java (for a long time, too long), bought Pickaxe
> the hour it was released <g>. Lately I'm been directing my career
> more towards Ruby and Javascript. Last year was almost all Rails.
>
> I live in the Dallas area. I'm a husband and father, so my free time
> would not be considered copious, but I'm excited about MacRuby and
> will make time to help.

Very glad you like the project :-)

There are various ways to help the project: writing documentation
(tutorials), creating or porting code examples, finding & reporting
bugs (and possibly with a patch :-)), helping passing all RubySpecs,
contributing missing features to the VM/compiler, etc.

Let us know what you prefer to do and we can surely find you work :-)