[MacRuby-devel] Intro, looking to get involved

Greg Vaughn gvaughn at gigavolt.net
Fri Aug 7 19:28:27 PDT 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Greg Vaughn wrote:
>
> I think these errors are because you did not install MacRuby before
> running the specs.
>
> This is a temporary problem with C extension bundles, they must be
> installed before we can run their specs.
>
> Hopefully this will be very soon fixed.

Great. Thanks for the tip. That, plus a fresh pull from git got me
testing clean.

I was about to ask how I can offer a patch to the README.rdoc so that
'sudo rake install' is mentioned, but if the issue will be fixed soon,
I won't worry about it. I assume that the github repo does not
contribute back upstream to the master svn source.

> Very glad you like the project :-)
>
> There are various ways to help the project: writing documentation
> (tutorials), creating or porting code examples, finding & reporting
> bugs (and possibly with a patch :-)), helping passing all RubySpecs,
> contributing missing features to the VM/compiler, etc.
>
> Let us know what you prefer to do and we can surely find you work :-)

I suspect I'll be best off at first working some code examples, and
documenting progress. I'm sure there's enough doc work to fill a book.
That'll get me a good overall sense of things. Then working on getting
specs passing. Then maybe I'd be comfortable enough with internals to
have some useful patches to offer.

So, is the wiki the preferred place to write up documentation/
experiences/examples?

-Greg