[MacRuby-devel] Building the Experimental Branch

Steven Canfield stevencanfield.macruby at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 14:26:59 PDT 2009

Hey All,This is my first post to this list so I should introduce myself. My
name is Steven Canfield I've just graduated from a Master's program in
Computer Science and am doing iPhone development as my day job. I've found
the MacRuby project intriguing since it was announced (and helpful in my
last semester) so I'm ready to start giving back.

I've checked out the experimental branch and am trying to work through some
of the spec tests from

http://github.com/alloy/mr-experimental/blob/master/spec/README.rdoc

However, I can't get MacRuby to actually build. Right now I am using
revision 2088 of the experimental branch. When I try to build (using
'rake'), I get

Assertion failed: (ee != NULL), function RoxorCore, file vm.cpp, line 208.
rake aborted!
Command failed with status (): [../../miniruby -I../.. -I../../lib -r
rbco...]

Looking into that it's clearly something with LLVM. I figure it's probably
the specific LLVM version I am using, but I've tried both 72741 (mentioned
in the Readme.rdoc file) and trunk (77106). I get the same error with each.

I'm doing this on 10.6 so if there are special instructions for that you
could reply to me off list.

Thanks for any guidance,
-Steve