[MacRuby-devel] Building the Experimental Branch

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Jul 26 21:21:46 PDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Steven Canfield wrote:

> Hey All,
> This is my first post to this list so I should introduce myself. My
> name is Steven Canfield I've just graduated from a Master's program
> in Computer Science and am doing iPhone development as my day job.
> I've found the MacRuby project intriguing since it was announced
> (and helpful in my last semester) so I'm ready to start giving back.

Hi Steven,

Glad to hear it!  We can always use more volunteers around here.

> I've checked out the experimental branch and am trying to work
> through some of the spec tests from
>
> http://github.com/alloy/mr-experimental/blob/master/spec/README.rdoc
>
> However, I can't get MacRuby to actually build. Right now I am using
> revision 2088 of the experimental branch. When I try to build (using
> 'rake'), I get
> Assertion failed: (ee != NULL), function RoxorCore, file vm.cpp,
> line 208.
> rake aborted!
> Command failed with status (): [../../miniruby -I../.. -I../../lib -
> r rbco...]
> [ ... ]

Hmmm.  Well, I can't reproduce your results on 0.6 (and I've been
building MacRuby on that release for awhile), so let's first make sure
you're really working with the same bits I am, and also building /
installing said bits in the same way.  I'm also going to talk SVN URLs
here because that's where the "master bits" are and I can't speak to
any sources cloned over into git-land since I don't use git, nor am I
particularly clear on how often those bits are sync'd.

For LLVM:

http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk (revision 72741)

Being built/installed like so:

./configure
UNIVERSAL=1 UNIVERSAL_ARCH="i386 x86_64" ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1 make -j4
sudo env UNIVERSAL=1 UNIVERSAL_ARCH="i386 x86_64" ENABLE_OPTIMIZED=1
make install

For MacRuby:

http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/ruby/MacRuby/branches/
experimental (at revision 2092 when I ran my test)

Being cleaned/built/installed like so:

# First, clean out all the old cruft from any previous MacRuby Build
rake clean
rm -f miniruby *.a *.dylib macruby enc

# To build / install:
rake ; rake install

If all that fails for you, then maybe you have the DevTools mis-
installed on your 10.6 box?  Email me your build information directly,
off this list, and we can also make sure your environment is 100%
kosher.

Thanks,

- Jordan