[MacRuby-devel] I want to help too

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:49:27 PDT 2009

Hi Perry,

I wouldn't worry too much about duplicate efforts, there aren't many
people working on the core itself.
What you could do to start out, is to run the rubyspecs in spec/frozen/
language, as they should all run iirc, but there are some tagged ones.

To run spec all which are tagged as failing:

./mspec/bin/mspec run -I./lib -B ./spec/macruby.mspec -g fails ./spec/
frozen/language --format spec

(Actually, right now there's one causing a segfault.)

You can then verify that the spec is valid for 1.9.x (HEAD), if not it
should be updated, if it is then MacRuby should be fixed. I think this
is a great way to start on the C parts of MacRuby.

Besides the fails tag there are also specs tagged as critical, which
will segfault etc. So there's actually a nice list of places that need
to be fixed :) Be sure to check out the mspec-tag script to list all
tagged specs.

HTH,
Eloy