[MacRuby-devel] testing macruby/hotcocoa apps

Brian Marick marick at exampler.com
Tue May 12 09:59:22 PDT 2009

I think it's prudent to make UI testing as much like unit testing as
possible. Tools and tests that poke at the GUI from "outside" are
notoriously fragile. I gave a talk at Mountain West RubyConf on using
TDD for user interfaces (using RubyCocoa, but the idea is the same for
MacRuby).
<http://mwrc2009.confreaks.com/videos/13-mar-2009-17-00-test-driving-guis-with-rubycocoa-brian-marick-large.mp4

This week, I'll be updating my tooling for MacRuby and starting to use
it to reimplement the /Developer/Examples Objective-C samples.

(Shameless plug: There's a more detailed description of the testing
approach in my RubyCocoa book: <http://pragprog.com/titles/bmrc/rubycocoa
 >.)

-----
Brian Marick, independent consultant