[MacRuby-devel] testing macruby/hotcocoa apps

Jeremy Voorhis jvoorhis at gmail.com
Tue May 12 15:26:16 PDT 2009

I second the idea also. Tools like Squish have their place, but as a
solo/hobbyist developer, I'd much rather put some faith in Apple's
efforts to test that scrollbars scroll properly, buttons dispatch to
actions, etc. and focus on how *my* code constructs views, binds data
and generally assert that the state of my views is what I expect.

On a related note, I just created my first custom view in macruby
(just a throw-away tutorial app) and wondered what the best strategy
for testing Cocoa graphics code might be. The most obvious answer
would be to mock the critical parts of the API I am calling, but in
practice I find that approach often leads to building a second
implementation which isn't guaranteed to be any more correct than the
code I am testing, and can become as much a liability as it is an
asset. Does anyone know of a good model for testing graphics code that
can actually account for how views *appear*?

Best,

Jeremy Voorhis