[MacRuby-devel] Xcode Project Template with Testing Baked In

Eloy Duran eloy.de.enige at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 01:18:07 PDT 2009

Hi Dylan,

> So, I've been mucking about with MacRuby lately. It's been fun so
> far. Thanks to all the devs for this great project.

Welcome!

> I'm a pretty firm believer in unit testing my Ruby code. I love how
> Ruby on Rails and similar frameworks nudge you in the right
> direction by baking in an existing testing infrastructure.

Great, we agree! :)

> I've got testing pretty much figured out and was wondering if the
> team would be open to modifying the basic Xcode project template to
> add unit testing, with a stub test and test_suite file to get
> started. This would also involve creating a framework for any
> objective-c code that the user writes so that it can be included in
> both the .app and the test files.

Well, unfortunately atm it's not that easy. Because we currently can't
both run test::unit or minitest properly. I know the test::unit, which
is currently in macruby's trunk, works work the greater part, but it's
not ideal.

I have been working on this area for a while now, getting a little
closer every time. This work is part of Rucola, which at some point
will merge with HotCocoa and will provide a classic layout as you are
accustomed to by frameworks such as Rails.

At this point, the test framework which we can fully run is Bacon,
which is what I'm gonna base the rest of my current work on. However,
once we can fully run minitest/test::unit we'll support that as well.
More importantly right now is a working mocking and stubbing lib. My
choice is Mocha, but MacRuby is not mature enough yet to do all the
fancy meta stuff that is needed for this.

So for the time being, I'd say cool let's add it to the project
template! But, on the long run this should all move to Rucola to
provide one piece that pulls it all together. If you are interested on
working on this, please contact me directly. Anyone can do that btw.

Cheers,
Eloy