[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby on iPhone

Laurent Sansonetti lsansonetti at apple.com
Tue Oct 6 13:49:59 PDT 2009

Hi Anton,

Great! So, since autozone doesn't exist on the iPhone, we must emulate
it. First, we make sure all memory allocations are done from the
default malloc zone. Second, we need to appropriately retain/release/
autorelease Objective-C objects (as an example, if an object becomes
an instance variable, it has to be retained). Third, we need to
programmatically compile autorelease pools.

This isn't an easy task but we can work together on this. Of course
feel free to ping us if you have any question.

Laurent

On Oct 6, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Антон Журавскій wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
> So I believe I will at least try to work out something re 2). The
> only issue that might emerge is that even if I end up with something
> working, it would be great to be checked by somebody as I'm not a
> proficient C developer (however, I wrote some stuff in C, C++ and
> Objective-C).
>
> Also, may I count on any hints from the community in case I have
> been stuck with something?
>
> Best,
> Anton
>
> 06.10.2009, в 23:37, Laurent Sansonetti написал(а):
>
>> Hi Anton,
>>
>> It's more complicated than that. It's basically a 2 goals target:
>>
>> 1) finishing the AOT compiler
>> 2) emulating garbage collection
>>
>> I work on 1) heavily. AFAIK nobody started working on 2).
>>
>> The project is free software by the way, so anyone can hack on the
>> source code. If you won't want to die before it gets there, it's
>> probably the best solution.
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Oct 6, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Антон Журавскій wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I know most of you are 100% pissed off by this topic, but does
>>> anybody work on porting MacRuby to iPhone?
>>> What are main issues around that (if any)? And do we have a chance
>>> to be alive when it finally gets there?
>>>
>>> I'm personaly very excited by Ruby in general and MacRuby in
>>> particular, so would like to help if I can.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Anton