[MacRuby-devel] Using Gems in MacRuby

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:03:45 PDT 2009

On Oct 15, 2009, at 1:43 PM, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> On Oct 14, 2009, at 7:07 PM, Craig Williams wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have searched the web but have not found a good explanation on
>> how to use
>> gems in a MacRuby project. Is there a tutorial I am missing?
>
> We should definitely write a tutorial about that. The RubyGems
> support is pretty new so I don't think anybody tried yet to embed
> gems in a MacRuby app. At a glance I believe it would be a matter of
> installing the gem inside MacRuby.framework, embed it in the app
> then change the GEM_HOME environment variable.
>
> Laurent

Oof. Changing the framework? Maybe I'm not understanding what you're
suggesting. Why would it not be enough to install all gems in a
vendor/ directory and change GEM_HOME to there? Or something that
would not involve embedding (eventually) all gems in use in all apps
you're developing inside the MacRuby.framework...

Steve