[MacRuby-devel] My class's initialize not called

steve ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:20:20 PST 2010

I'm sure this is an elementary question, but I have the class below. In IB, I set several NSTextField controls to this class. Everything works in the blah, blah, blah part, but strangely enough the

puts "initialize dctf"

never seems to be called. Any thoughts as to why?

require 'strings'

class DuplicateCounterTextField < NSTextField
  include Strings

  attr_accessor :splitter, :completions
  attr_accessor :wordCount, :duplicateCount

  def initialize
    puts "initialize dctf"
    @splitter = /\W+/
    @wordCount = 0
    @cachedWordCount = 0
    @duplicateCount = 0
  end

  # blah, blah, blah working code

  def textDidChange(notification)
    words = stringValue.split(@splitter)
    @wordCount = words.length
    @duplicateCount = @wordCount - words.uniq.length

    if delegate.respond_to?('controlCountDidChange:wordCount:duplicateCount:')
      delegate.controlCountDidChange(self,
                                   wordCount:@wordCount,
                              duplicateCount:@duplicateCount)
    end