[MacRuby-devel] backtrace in cocoa callbacks ...

Steven Parkes smparkes at smparkes.net
Tue Sep 14 17:56:51 PDT 2010

FWIW, I have a lots of stuff built that does work, that makes it easy (for my needs, anyway) to link to existing ObjC and C++ libraries and quickly prototype a cocoa UI. I have a bunch of rake tasks that can build cocoa app bundles with only dylibs, bundles, and the main mach binary, including vendored gems, etc.

It all can be made to work pretty nicely.

But the lack of exception traces in cocoa apps, that might be a killer for me. I get an exception and I have no idea where it is. Thinking about it now, dynamic languages are pretty tough to debug without exception traces.

Actually, file names/line numbers might be enough, but those don't seem to come through either when called from a cocoa event loop.

I'm happy to try to contribute if it's something that's feasible. Given that this is thread/event loop stuff, I'm not sure how difficult this might be ...