[MacRuby-devel] Noob question: Interface builder not picking up MacRuby definitions

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 10:58:55 PDT 2010

Sorry for the slow response, I've been occupied elsewhere.

On 16 Sep 2010, at 06:02, Laurent Sansonetti wrote:

> If you installed a new version of Xcode on top of a previous MacRuby installation, you may want to re-install MacRuby.

It's working now I've reinstalled both Xcode and then MacRuby. It wasn't working before that, but I can't be sure I hadn't upgraded Xcode in the time between the original MacRuby install and this problem.

> This is really strange. Could you tell us what version of Mac OS X you run and what version of Xcode and MacRuby you installed? Also, do you happen to run a 32-bit only Intel machine?

It's a Macbook Pro with a Intel Core 2 Duo, which I understand is 64-bit but System Profiler says that 64 bit kernel and extensions are a "no". OSX 10.6.4 is on there, and MacRuby 0.6 from the installer not the source, and Xcode is version 3.2.3 (1688). Interface Builder is version 3.2.3 (788).

> If IB isn't picking up the metadata you may see messages in your console. Please paste any relevant information here.

Haven't seen anything in there. So little in fact that I'm a little bit perturbed, things never run that well! :)

> IB is using the /Developer/usr/bin/rb_nibtool command-line tool to retrieve metadata. You can call it by yourself on the terminal, passing a path to your Ruby file, and see what happens. If you get a property-list describing the relevant classes/outlets/actions then it means the problem is elsewhere.

If I see this happening again I'll try this and see what I can find out.

I really appreciate all the help.

Regards,
Iain