[MacRuby-devel] LLVM 2.8

Craig Bosma craig.bosma at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 07:17:14 PDT 2010

Hi,

Is any effort being made to synchronize the upcoming MacRuby 0.7
release with the upcoming LLVM 2.8 release? How big are the changes to
LLVM between the preferred MacRuby version (r106781) and the latest RC
(https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/tags/RELEASE_28/rc2, r114689)?

MacRuby HEAD doesn't build with 2.8rc2, (at a glance) related to the
following changes listed here:
http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html#whatsnew

 * LLVM 2.8 changes the internal order of operands in InvokeInst and
CallInst. To be portable across releases, resort to CallSite and the
high-level accessors, such as getCalledValue and setUnwindDest.
* You can no longer pass use_iterators directly to cast<> (and
similar), because these routines tend to perform costly dereference
operations more than once. You have to dereference the iterators
yourself and pass them in.

I'm not expert on LLVM or MacRuby, but I'd like to see compatibility
between 'stable' versions, so I'm happy to help if I can.

Craig