[MacRuby-devel] LLVM 2.8

Craig Bosma craig.bosma at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:48:01 PDT 2010

Thanks Laurent,

I am interested in learning more about MacRuby/LLVM internals, so
perhaps this is a good opportunity. I created a patch (attached) that
gets MacRuby building with LLVM 2.8rc2, but I'm quite certain that
this bit:

     dbg_mdkind = context.getMDKindID("dbg");
-    assert(dbg_mdkind != 0);
+    //assert(dbg_mdkind != 0);

is all wrong. I presume that the assertion is there to verify the
presence of debug metadata, but beyond that -- where the debug
metadata is created, what may have changed in 2.8 pertaining to
metadata, or even the basic metadata model/API of LLVM are currently
beyond me. Any suggestions for a basic primer on LLVM's architecture,
or pointers on where to start digging?

I *think* the other changes are straightforward (per the 2.8 release notes).

Also, I see there are a lot of rake tests; which one(s) would be a
good sanity check when hacking on MacRuby?

Craig