[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby scripting bridge speed

Stephen Horne fatste at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 07:17:00 PST 2011

I'm new to all this, so apologies if I'm doing something daft.

I'm trying to create a MacRuby GUI application to parse a load of
information from InDesign documents.

I've previously made this application using applescriptObjC, but I was
constantly bouncing off the walls of applescript and getting seemingly
random bad_exec errors if I ran it too many times without a reboot, so
I've decided to try with MacRuby.

I'm only at the stage of probing MacRuby to see how to do it, and I've
immediately hit a problem; it seems to take a very long time to set up
the link to InDesign.

I found some code in correspondence between Matt Aimonetti and Spencer
Rose that I am using to test:

#!/usr/local/bin/macruby
framework 'Foundation'
framework 'ScriptingBridge'

# I followed Matt's instructions for making the bridge support file, but
I wasn't sure where it needs to go, so I did this for a quick fix.
load_bridge_support_file '/Users/fatboy/inDesign.bridgesupport'

appurl = NSURL.fileURLWithPath("/Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Adobe
InDesign CS5.app")
@id = SBApplication.applicationWithURL(appurl)
doc = @id.activeDocument

puts doc.name

pgph = doc.allParagraphStyles

pgph.each do |style|
      puts "#{style.name}"
      puts style.properties["appliedFont"].name
end

This code works, but it takes 15+ seconds to set up the link to InDesign
(similar stuff with safari takes about 1 second, and in applescript or
rb-appscript it takes about a tenth of a second for either InDesign or
safari).

I also tried
SBApplication.applicationWithBundleIdentifier("com.adobe.indesign"), and
this was just the same.

Is there something I am missing here?

Fb