[MacRuby-devel] A Future for MacRuby

Benjamin Almeida benjamin.q.almeida at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 03:01:44 PST 2011

I get the feeling few of you are every day ruby developers, there are incompatibilities between all ruby versions, yes even between 1.9 and 1.8 so why on earth should macruby be a finnished Sofa, snug and compfy. It is part of rubys attraction that it still evolves.

If I want write a web application I need to learn javascript, I would love to see a webruby on all browsers even if it was as early stage as macruby 0.3.

Laurent has created some piece of art, though I mostly use MRI 1.9 I appreciate that, it expands ruby into a niche, giving me easy access. I see it as what it is, a science project apple runs the same is true for llvm and clang. Of course they do it to be ahead of their competition but they share it open source and you can do with it whatever pleases you.

Just to make my point clear, if you learn german, you would not write a letter to the german or austrian or swiss hobby linguists to complain about all those local dialects and how this complicates deciding whether or not learning german will give you the expected return of investment.  It would be inappropriate.

Computer languages evolve in a similar manner, ruby more so because it has more of the properties of a natural language than other programming languages. So there is no way to avoid this dynamic, it will happen again and again.

So there is nothing wrong with macruby there may be something wrong with your expectation.

Best
Ben