[MacRuby-devel] book idea - "making it look like Ruby"

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Fri Feb 11 14:08:42 PST 2011

At 6:09 PM -0200 2/11/11, Caio Chassot wrote:
> On 2011-02-11, at 15:25 , Matt Aimonetti wrote:
>>
>> Magically converting a snake_case method call to a
>> CamelCase method dispatch is bad for peformance
>> and documentation.

It's not clear to me that there would be a significant
performance impact.  It might be possible to do (most
of) the translations at start-up time, avoiding much
impact during execution.

The question of documentation is also somewhat iffy.
There is already a difference in appearance between
the ObjC and MacRuby calling syntaxes.  Would merely
allowing (ie, not requiring) the use of snake_case
make this much problem much worse?

At 6:09 PM -0200 2/11/11, Caio Chassot wrote:
> I'm not suggesting that this be done as part of
> MacRuby, but should one want to go ahead on their onŠ

Ruby is extremely flexible.  I'm quite sure that some
metaprogramming  could be used to prototype something
for experimentation.

If the results were interesting, but inefficient or
awkward, it might be possible to do something better
in MacRuby itself.  Note that I'm not suggesting that
Laurent would do this, just relying on the fact that
MacRuby is an Open Source project...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com

Software system design, development, and documentation