[MacRuby-devel] Towards a compile option for macgem

Mark Rada mrada at marketcircle.com
Sat Feb 19 20:41:36 PST 2011

You're right; I don't want to use rubygems in a desktop app, I don't think that is the purpose of Rubygems and is not a good use case. Rubygems is still quite useful when I want to write a quick script that uses a gem, or when I simply want to experiment with a gem in irb, which is one case for compiling gems when installed via rubygems (but perhaps not a strong case).

I am using rubygems with MacRuby for a few small projects that do not (at the moment) belong to a desktop app, and are meant to be libraries distributed as gems and/or embedded in a larger project; not unlike how control_tower is distributed as a gem, and recently the dispatch stuff also became a gem (and probably other gems that I do not know about).

I think there is a question here about how MacRuby specific libraries should be built and distributed (best practices?). I've tried to create a framework in Xcode where the library is written using MacRuby, such as a ControlTower.framework, but I am an Xcode n00b so I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, and there are no templates for such an Xcode project.

Looking at the macruby_deploy script, it seems that gems get copied into the embeded MacRuby framework, and so they won't get compiled with the rest of the app since macruby_deploy only compiles compiles *.rb files it finds in Contents/Resources. However, if the gems were compiled before the embedding, I think the macruby_deploy script would blindly copy the compiled files in the app bundle; so that would be another case for a rubygems plugin (but I only learned this in the last couple of hours).

Though there are also good reasons to put the gem compiling logic in macruby_deploy; such as stripping out things like test scripts and gemspec files that are normally bundled in a gem.

This is turning out to be a much more complicated topic than I thought it would be. lol

--
Mark Rada
mrada at marketcircle.com