[MacRuby-devel] Towards a compile option for macgem

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 09:18:29 PST 2011

Hey Mark,

I agree with Matt that macruby_deploy needs work in this area, and any
effort you can contribute (or experience that you have gained from working
on your gem plugin) would be greatly appreciated. That said, I think a gem
plugin is a separate (and, IMHO at least, as valuable) issue.

So then, my personal view on the options you outlined:

- A gemspec property (e.g. spec.compile_for_macruby = true)

This seems more apt of an addition for MacRuby specifically. Unfortunately,
it seems that extraneous gemspec properties are not ignored, but if they
were, this would be a prime candidate for an option that is only used by
macgem. Now that I'm thinking about it, though, I wonder why we wouldn't
just have MacGem compile all gems?

> - A gem command:
>   gem compile nokogiri
>   gem compile —remove-original-files nokogiri
>       • I can’t remove the original *.rb files and leave *.rbo files by
> default because of how rubygems identifies gems (unless I modify gemspec
> files)

This seems most in keeping with how other gem extensions work. I don't think
removing original files is all that important though, since keeping them
around is also useful for debugging gems.

> >> - A gem install option
> >>   gem install —compile nokogiri

Maybe this is better handled with an option in .gemrc? or an environment
variable?

I'm afraid I'm a bit too swamped at the moment to lend a hand directly, but
I like the direction you're going, and I'll definitely keep an eye on where
this is going.

Cheers,

Josh