[MacRuby-devel] Gems again; signing records

Caio Chassot lists at caiochassot.com
Fri Jan 28 20:24:44 PST 2011

On 2011-01-29, at 02:11 , Matt Aimonetti wrote:

> IMHO adding Bundler as a dependency would be a huge mistake. First, Bundler code is overly complicated and tries to do way too much.

(You forgot to mention slow.)

I think I agree here. I just like the Gemfile format. Don't think we need to reinvent the wheel.

> Trying to resolve the dependency tree is not something you should do in prod or on a client machine. This belongs to the dev environment.

Maybe your argument backfires here, because resolving the dependency tree at compile time to decide which gems to bundle in the final app is actually quite useful. In fact, it's what you suggest right after:

> The way I see it, we just need macdeploy to unpack the gems you need & their dependencies as well as modify the loadpath. By doing that our prod apps don't even have the need to load or rely on rubygems.

Yes. In fact not loading rubygems on bundled/compiled apps is probably something to strive for. I can see things getting messy with unforeseen conflicts between app gems and user gems.