[MacRuby-devel] Tyro Needs Ruby vs. O-C Advice

Rob Gleeson rob at flowof.info
Thu Mar 31 00:22:40 PDT 2011

On 31 Mar 2011, at 04:43, Bryan Harrison wrote:

> I've decided to use an upcoming sabbatical to teach myself OS X and iOS programming.  My background includes OS X systems administration and web development, mostly using the Apache/MySQL/PHP model.  I'm familiar with OOP concepts and have trifled with any number of languages from C to AppleScript, but am not fluent in any object oriented language.  I've been exploring Xcode 4 for a week and feel conversant with the IDE if not yet able to accomplish anything with it.
>
> So…  I understand that Cocoa is a given, but today's million dollar question is Objective-C or MacRuby?  I'm a blank slate with regard to both and so could use some good advice.  For example…
>
> What are the advantages of MacRuby over Objective-C?
>
> What are the advantage of O-C over Ruby?
>
> Is Xcode's support for O-C significantly better than it's handling of Ruby?  Do I care?
>
> At this point I'm primarily interested in OS X development, but iOS clearly needs to run a close second.  What's the current status of Ruby development for iOS and is it likely to go anywhere in the nearish future?
>
> Any thoughts on the longer-term prospects of either language?
>
> Any thoughts from anybody will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

I prefer Ruby because it's easier to prototype quickly. I'm also way more familiar with Ruby, but when I'm writing Objective-C, I feel like I'm battling the language. With ruby, I can just solve problems, the language
part comes naturally.

By the way, I only got into C/Objective-C recently. it's a work-in-progress, and could have a large part to do with it.

On the plus side, if you do choose to dip into MacRuby, the APIs will map almost straight back to Objective-C Cocoa APIs, so it's not a lost cause. There is a benefit in that you'll learn Cocoa APIs, and be able to translate those back to Objective-C if/when you decide to. (The same is true if you learn Objective-C, and then MacRuby of course)

I just prefer Ruby because it's obviously my language of preference, and I seem to be able to work quicker with it.

Maybe you could try both languages, and see which fits better for *you*?

- Rob