[MacRuby-devel] Is this possible in MacRuby?

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 16:37:30 PST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM, azzzz at gmx.net <azzzz at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to make a Lion app(/option) with MacRuby which allows you
> to change the opacity (alpha value) of other apps/windows via the View menu?
>
> So say I have a PDF open in Preview, I'd go to: view menu > transparency,
> and then set it to 50%
>
> Is this possible? Would it be a pain to do? I don't think I've seen any
> MacRuby apps that add functionality to other apps like this so am guessing
> it's not trivial.

Hi Aston,

Forgive the quick and dirty description... Properties of an application's
windows are controllable by the operating system or the application itself.
Allowing a different application access to the window is, generally
speaking, a violation of process separation. That said, you might look into
SIMBL. It allows you to inject code into a running process. Not as a
separate process, but it is possible to modify an already running process.

Hope that helps.

- Josh