[MacRuby-devel] GPL and the App Store

Mike Boone mike at boonedocks.net
Thu Oct 6 18:17:54 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I would like to build a MacRuby app to sell on the Mac App Store.
However, I am concerned about the GPL license on some of the MacRuby
source code, given what happened to VLC on the iOS App Store.

I have googled around and the only discussion I could find on this
topic was a brief page at Stack Exchange, which did not have a
conclusive answer.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7028270/license-of-macruby

Reading LEGAL in the MacRuby distribution is confusing. It would seem
that all the listed licenses apply if these files are all compiled
into MacRuby. One of the files is GPL, therefore the whole app would
have to be GPL, correct?

I know that others are currently selling MacRuby apps in the Mac App
Store, but I would like to know more about this issue before I spend
time building my app in MacRuby.

Many thanks,
Mike Boone.
http://boonedocks.net/mike/