[MacRuby-devel] GPL and the App Store

Joshua Ballanco jballanc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 18:57:21 PDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I am also not a lawyer, but it is worth noting that the Ruby license is a dual license, with one part being the GPL and the other being a slightly relaxed version of the BSD 2-clause license. That said, there are a few libraries which can be *optionally* compiled in with Ruby (e.g. readline) which *are* GPL'd, but if you have a vanilla build/install of MacRuby, these also shouldn't be a concern.

It is also worth noting that there are already a number of MacRuby apps in the Mac OS app store.

Cheers,

Josh