[MacRuby-devel] Problem with a window controller

Robert Carl Rice rice.audio at pobox.com
Mon Dec 3 16:06:49 PST 2012

Hi David,

You should consider the "window" Objective C property to be "owned" by NSWindowController and it's confusing to define a Ruby class variable with the same name. It should automatically appear as an IB outlet for your NSWindowController subclass that you would "hook up" in IB just as you would a MacRuby outlet assuming that you instantiate your NSWindowController subclass with the same NIB with your NSWindow.

As per the NSWindowController documentation, you would read the window property using the method window() or self.window which will first load the window if it not already loaded.

You could set the window property using setWindow( window ), but normally you have NIB expansion call setWindow.

Similarly NSWindow automatically defines the delegate property that you can hook up to your window controller in IB assuming that you instantiate your NSWindowController subclass with the same NIB with your NSWindow.

I removed a lot of initialization code from my applications once I better understood how NIB file expansion works. You can hook up most of your delegates and target actions in IB. You can even initialize static Popup and comboBox option lists in IB. However, don't hookup dataSource in IB for NSTableView or NSOutlineView because it will attempt to load table data before you get awakeFromNib.

Bob Rice