[MacRuby-devel] Show MacRuby? - a start...

Kevin Poorman kjp at brightleafsoftware.com
Fri Feb 10 10:09:45 PST 2012

Good day,

I am a huge fan of the hard work that all of you have put forth to bring MacRuby where it is today. I have been using it on and off over the past 3 months for client work and have come across a few things that I often need that are in some way obscure / hard to find / under-documented, or -- mostly -- cocoa design patterns and ideas that are completely foreign to this rubyist. I wanted to try and contribute something to this project and as such, I've started a public repo of "Recipes" of MacRuby tasks / activities that were "hard fought."

I am under no delusions that they are perfect, and welcome additions, refactorings and ridicule. But it's a start. Without further ado,

http://code.pinguinshow.com/macruby-recipes/src

Currently it contains "recipes" for:
- Populating a NSCell based Table View
- Downloading a file while displaying a progress indicator in a sheet
- Opening the file/directory choosing sheet and handling the response

Coming soon it will contain recipes for:
- consuming scripting bridge files
- Core Data (probably quite a few here)
- bootstrapping sinatra (awaiting a bugfix in macruby)

Please feel free to fork, and send pull requests etc. Lets make it awesome!