[MacRuby-devel] MacRuby gems running very slow, how to debug/improve

Stian Håklev shaklev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:02:43 PST 2012

Hi all,
I use a bunch of Ruby Script and appscript-rb, together with a stand-alone
keyboard shortcut app to integrate a number of Mac apps. (
http://reganmian.net/wiki/researchr:start). I am very interested in the
possibility of porting this to MacRuby, because currently my biggest
problem is the difficult other users have in installing this workflow
(requiring XCode, binary gems, other applications etc).

However, the two gems that I am absolutely dependent on are bibtex-ruby and
citeproc-ruby. These both run extremely slowly on MacRuby. As a very simple
example, here are the differences in running a script that only includes
the lines
include 'rubygems'
include 'bibtex' (or 'citeproc')

Ruby MRI 1.92p80: 0.18 and 0.36
MacRuby 0.12: 2.88 and .677

Running the parsing benchmarks for BibTeX in MacRuby is also 20-100 times
slower. This makes it unusable for my purposes.

I wonder how I can address this. The developer asked me for ruby-prof
output, but I know that doesn't currently run on MacRuby. I have XCode and
Instruments, but having never used XCode for ObjC development, I have no
idea about how to configure Instruments to make it useful for his purposes.

Stian Haklev
Curriculum, Teaching and Learning / University of Toronto

--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters