[MacRuby-devel] Getting addresses for function arguments in GDB

Andy Park sohocoke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 08:03:14 PST 2012

I have had a few occasions where I wanted to understand more about certain signals my MacRuby program was receiving.

While digging for more information, I came across a post on the maling list that suggested I could get all the addresses for crucial MR function calls such as rv_vm_dispatch, such as the following snippet at http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2010-July/005524.html :

#27 0x000000010013083b in rb_vm_dispatch (_vm=0x10704a3d0, cache=0x107712510, top=8593309248, self=8593309248, klass=0x20034b8c0, sel=0x7fff84e14103, block=0x0, opt=2 '\002', argc=<value temporarily unavailable, due to optimizations>, argv=0x101780a88) at dispatcher.cpp:163

I tried to get the same information in my gdb backtrace, without success. I set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to . as described in README.rdoc, then on Joshua's suggestion at freenode #macruby, also tried building macruby head without optimisation by passing 'optz_level=0' to rake. I still have no parameters showing up on my backtrace.

Any idea how I can make the backtraces show up?

Also, while rummaging through the mailing list, I came across some past plans to implement dwarf symbolication. Is that still the planned course of development? Can anyone help me out with understanding its current status so I can see what there is for me to chip in?

Regards,
Andy Park