[MacRuby-devel] RubyMotion: Ruby for iOS

Dan Farrand danf at greenRiverComputing.com
Thu May 3 14:49:52 PDT 2012

I like the idea that somebody is invested in Ruby for IOS to make money.  Open Source is great for projects that become very popular.  Projects related to Apple like MacRuby are inherently risky since Apple will be indifferent at best to weather it does something to break MacRuby, especially as they see it being a competitor for their preferred mindset.  If a company can make money ensuring that MacRuby  for Mac and IOS continue to survive Apple's passive aggressive ways, then it gives me greater incentive to invest my time using MacRuby.

On the other hand we have to serious consider Apple's commitment to computing at all.  As Apple ignores the computer market,  the point will come where none of the rest of it maters.  If the next computer I buy is not an Apple product,  the likely hood grows that the next phone or tablet I buy will not be a MAC OS/iOS product.  As someone who makes a living from computing, it is the computer that leads not the other gadgets.