[MacRuby-devel] RubyMotion: Ruby for iOS

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri May 4 09:24:17 PDT 2012

On Thu, 03 May 2012 22:54:20 -0400 Richard Kilmer
<rich at infoether.com> wrote:
> This argument can truly be made about any commercial tool you use
> to build with or build upon.

Not even remotely true. When I write code in C or Objective C, most of
that code can just be used with any one of several entirely open
source toolchains. It is different when your toolchain for your code
is essentially proprietary.

> The RubyMotion you use today you can continue to use whether you
> pay for ongoing support or not.

Also not true, since iOS is updated very rapidly and if a toolchain
that you cannot replace is not producing code for a fairly recent iOS
your code investment vanishes.

Again, I've got no trouble with people making money off of their
work, but it would be better has to be some assurance that if
disaster strikes the toolchain becomes something other people can
update.

Incidentally, it isn't unusual in large commercial software contracts
to demand code escrow in case the vendor goes under, and that's more
or less an analogous situation.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com