[MacRuby-devel] RubyMotion: Ruby for iOS

Ian Ragsdale macruby at ianragsdale.com
Thu May 3 15:56:18 PDT 2012

That is a completely different situation - there are many compatible C compilers out there currently, and only one compiler that lets you run a RubyMotion project on iOS.  Having a bunch of iOS code in "fairly standard MacRuby" is fairly useless if the only existing implementation that runs on iOS were to no longer work for some reason (say due to a new version of iOS).  If it were open source that's not something that worries me, but I've had that problem with proprietary products in the past.

Let me reiterate that I think Laurent deserves to get paid well for creating this, and I've already purchased a copy for personal use.  I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, nor suggesting nobody should use it under the current terms, I'm just asking if there are any future plans.
- Ian