[SmartcardServices-Dev] SmartCardServices in OSX 10.8

Thomas Harning Jr. harningt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 10:31:38 PDT 2013

Has Apple worked out the next generation USB Token / Network HSM system
support yet? From what I'm seeing, all the interfaces I am developing
against for Symantec are deprecated - which is an unpleasant situation to
be in, since technically the interface can be swiped out from under us.

Are there any plans on patching pcscd daemon or the ccid drivers? We are
using Aladdin tokens and experience routine failures and "race conditions"
between multiple applications using a device where even though transactions
are properly used, hangs are encountered. This also bubbles up to SecurityD
causing system hangs since it accesses pcscd as well.

If a third party were to upgrade pcscd or the ccid driver to resolve
problems with what is installed at the system level, what sort of issues
would we encounter if Apple were to push an update these components (or is
it planned to never update these)?
- Would the apple update fail completely preventing further updates to the
system?
- Would the update ignore the update to a changed system component?
- Would the update overwrite our changes?

Thomas Harning Jr. (http://about.me/harningt)