[SmartcardServices-Users] CCID drivers auto-start issues on the Snow Leopard

Shawn A. Geddis geddis at apple.com
Mon Sep 28 20:00:05 PDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:50 AM, Wang Yongqing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have got the Snow Leopard OS on my Macbook and want to use the
> CCID driver on it. But when I plug-in the reader, there is no any
> information. So I cancel the autostart of pcscd and run the command
> in the terminal: "pcscd -f".
> The reader can not be used and the terminal give the information
> "pcscd: posix_spawn: pcscd: No Such file or directory". But the
> reader can run successfully when I run the command "/usr/sbin/pcscd -
> f".
>
> So I want to know whether I must disable the autostart of pcscd if I
> want to use the reader on the Snow Leopard?
>
> Wait for your reply. Thank you.
>

> Best regards,
> Yongqing

Yongqing,

You should not stop the autostart of pcscd!

Mac OS X will automatically start/stop pcscd when it is needed.  When
you first attach a Smart Card Reader (or it is attached at boot time),
the pcscd process will be launched automatically by securityd.  Once
you insert a smart card, all of the installed Tokend modules will be
launched to probe the card and determine what Apple/profile is
present.  If a match is found, the corresponding Tokend will remain
running (i.e. CAC / PIV / BELPIC / JPKI /  etc).

You can quickly view the Smart Card and its contents by launching
Keychain Access and selecting the Smart Card keychain in the upper
left corner list.  This will reveal the objects (Certs / Priv Keys) on
the card.

Smart Cards == Keychains.

Was there something else you were looking for that led you to believe
you had to kill pcscd ?

Shawn Geddis				  			   geddis at mac.com
Apple Security Consulting Engineer

MacOSForge Project Lead:                           Smart Card Services
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/