[SmartcardServices-Users] JITC CAC card gets " An untrusted certificate authority was detected while processing the smart card certificate used for authentication" login error...

Paul Kwan paul.kwan at centrify.com
Tue Apr 6 06:23:06 PDT 2010

Hi All,

    I posted this message in the Fed-Talk forum accidentally. I should post it here. Here's my message:

    I have a test JITC CAC card that worked on Mac and Windows workstations since May last year. Now I got the following error when trying to login again:

    1) From the Windows login screen, it pops up this error message:

The system could not log you on. An untrusted certificate authority was detected while processing the smart card certificate used for authentication

   2) On the Mac, secure.log shows similar error message complaining on "An untrusted CA..."

    The JITC CAC card is valid until next year. And the DoD certs on AD are also valid:

        2.1) "DOD OM CA-20": Valid from 8/3/2007 to 8/1/2013
        2.2) "DOD OM EMAIL CA-20": Valid from 8/2/2007 to 4/1/2013
        2.3) "DoD JITC Root CA 2": Valid from 7/14/2005 to 7/2/2030

    3) I can access and download the CRL files without any problem:

         3.1) http://crl.nit.disa.mil/getcrl?DoD JITC Root CA 2
        3.2) http://crl.nit.disa.mil/getcrl?DOD OM CA-20
        3.3) http://crl.nit.disa.mil/getcrl?DOD OM EMAIL CA-20

    Does anybody out there see the similar problem? How can I fix this so that my test JITC CAC card works again? Thanks for the help in advance.

PSK