[SmartcardServices-Users] JITC CAC card gets " An untrusted certificate authority was detected while processing the smart card certificate used for authentication" login error...

Shawn A. Geddis geddis at mac.com
Thu Apr 8 01:41:33 PDT 2010

Paul,

Note that the Root Cert "DoD JITC Root CA 2" is not part of the "System Root" (immutable Root Store) and hence would require that you enable trust for that Root CA - Mac OS X requires administrative trust set for Anchors not pre-shipped by Apple.  To be more accurate, you can set the Trust Anchor to be any Cert within the Trust Path, since Mac OS X support a multi-tiered Trust Model.

You can accomplish this via the CLI security command or of course via the GUI of Keychain Access.

security add-trusted-cert [<options>] [certFile]

Usage: add-trusted-cert  [<options>] [certFile]
    -d                  		Add to admin cert store; default is user
    -r resultType       	resultType = trustRoot|trustAsRoot|deny|unspecified;
                             		default is trustRoot
    -p policy           		Specify policy constraint (ssl, smime, codeSign, IPSec, iChat,
                              		basic, swUpdate, pkgSign, pkinitClient, pkinitServer, eap)
    -a appPath          	Specify application constraint
    -s policyString     	Specify policy-specific string
    -e allowedError    	Specify allowed error (certExpired, hostnameMismatch) or integer
    -u keyUsage         	Specify key usage, an integer
    -k keychain         	Specify keychain to which cert is added
    -i settingsFileIn   	Input trust settings file; default is user domain
    -o settingsFileOut  	Output trust settings file; default is user domain
    -D                  		Add default setting instead of per-cert setting
    certFile            		Certificate(s)

When you click on and view the certificates in Keychain Access, the Status of the Certificate is displayed in the header area.  If it is as I suspect, you will see "This certificate was signed by an untrusted issuer".

-Shawn

Shawn Geddis				  			   geddis at mac.com
Security Consulting Engineer				   geddis at apple.com

MacOSForge Project Lead:                           Smart Card Services
	Web:	http://smartcardservices.macosforge.org/