[SmartcardServices-Users] [Fed-Talk] CAC Reader and AKO on Older MacBookPro

Shawn A. Geddis geddis at apple.com
Mon Jul 26 05:19:22 PDT 2010

Paul,

Ahh, I understand the confusion.  When you were prompted for a "Password" and you entered the "PIN" it was not saved in your file-based keychain, but rather the system "unlocked" your Smart Card ( a Smart Card IS a Keychain).

Some dialogs still refer to "password" while displaying the name of the Keychain (your Smart Card Name), but the "PIN" you entered is never stored in a file-based Keychain.  The PIN is used as part of the Challenge-Response with the card which is frequently referred to as "unlocking" your card.

While your card remains in the reader after entering the PIN, the PIN is cached by the security server to prevent your needing to re-enter it for every single transaction involving the private key(s).  If you pull the card, log out or shut the system down, the cached PIN is thrown away and you would then need to enter the PIN again next time you need to access the private key(s). This is also true if you switch between Mac OS X and a virtualized environment using the Smart Card.

- Shawn
Shawn Geddis  -  Security Consulting Engineer  -  Apple Enterprise