[SmartcardServices-Users] [Fed-Talk] Trying to attach smart card reader to VM on OS 10.8

Ludovic Rousseau ludovic.rousseau at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:21:01 PST 2012

2012/12/12 Henry B. Hotz <hotz at jpl.nasa.gov>:
> Apologies for the cross-post, but I want to finish the thread.  (I wish there were more traffic on the SC Services list.)
>
> My memory of the situation was that I couldn't configure VirtualBox to capture the device until after it had already captured it.  A bit of a catch 22.
>
> I'm not currently running VB (running Parallels so I can't verify this) but I guess the recommended procedure would be:
>
> 1) Start VirtualBox
> 2) Connect SC reader

Be sure to have no card in the reader or Mac OS X will try to use it
and killing pcscd could have bad effects.

> 3) kill pcscd (under MacOS)
> 4) Capture the reader in a VB VM (before pcscd gets restarted)

pcscd should not be restarted unless you (re)connect a smart card reader.

> 5) Configure VB to auto-capture the device.

This step is not needed.

> 6) Shut down VB.
> 7) Reboot

No need to reboot.
pcscd should be started in Mac OS X the next time you plug a smart card reader.

I agree with Shawn that killing a (system) process you did not start
yourself is, in general, a bad idea. But it may work.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau