[SmartcardServices-Users] Storing Keychain data

SB Tech sirgadabout1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 09:09:54 PST 2012

If you don't mind, I'm going to quote from Apple's "Mac OS X Security
Configuration For Mac OS X Version 10.6 Snow Leopard" document:

"Snow Leopard integrates support for hardware-based smart cards as
dynamic keychains where any application using keychains can access
that smart card. A smart card can be thought of as a portable
protected keychain.
Smart cards are seen by the operating system as dynamic keychains and
are added to the top of the Keychain Access list. They are the first
searched in the list. They can be treated as other keychains on the
user’s computer, with the limitation that users can’t add other secure
objects.
When you attach a supported smart card to your computer, it appears in
Keychain Access. If multiple smart cards are attached to your
computer, they appear at the top of the keychain list alphabetically
as separate keychains." (p.136)

This encouraged me to believe that the behaviour I was seeing,
regarding my Smart Card displacing my Login keychain, was both normal
and expected behaviour.  So, how exactly does your Smart Card interact
with Keychain Access?  Does it appear at all in the list of Keychains?
 If not, perhaps there's a low-level setting I can toggle to prevent
it appearing.

S.