[SmartcardServices-Users] Storing Keychain data

Brian Reese breese78 at mac.com
Sun Mar 4 08:04:43 PST 2012

This is just my opinion, so use it at your own risk ;)

If you are using a data at rest encryption solution like FileVault 2 (which you really should if you are concerned about security on a laptop you take to the field), having the login keychain encrypted with a PIN is probably not that big a deal. Somebody would have to get past the disk encryption before they could try to brute force your login keychain.

Of course that comes back to the whole issue of having to use a strong password for FileVault 2, since I don't think there's any way to use a smart card at the preboot screen (yet?).

There supposedly is a way to encrypt your keychain with the actual key on the smart card rather than just the PIN, but it involves some command line steps and I've never actually gotten it to work. That also sounds like it wouldn't be ideal for you though, because if you didn't log in with your smart card, there would be no way at all to unlock the keychain.

What it boils down to is that you can't use multiple ways of logging in (username/pass, smart card) and have the login keychain unlock automatically with all of those ways. Keychains only support one way of unlocking them at a time.

-Brian